Thursday, December 24, 2009

Can I substitute applesauce for veg. oil in my waffle recipe?

I always substitute applesauce for vegetable oil in cake mixes and stuff like that, but can I do it with my waffles too? Will it be an okay texture, or more cakey? Just wondering as I'm out of veg. oil.


Thanks!Can I substitute applesauce for veg. oil in my waffle recipe?
Yes, BUT...





I do this on a regular basis with my waffle iron...My daughter LOVES waffles on Saturday morning...Several years ago, I was traveling for business and the Hotel where I was at had a Belgian Waffle Iron in the Breakfast area...The batter was in pre-mixed 6 oz. cups...You poured the batter QUICKLY into the Iron, closed it and ROTATED the Iron 180 degrees...It had an automatic timer, when it beeped, take the 7'; Waffle out quickly and eat it hot...Dependably crunchy on the outside, light and fluffy inside...





After about 4 days of this at a Hotel, I asked the friendly hostess where to BUY a Waffle Iron like this...She scooted it out to look at the backside, sure enough, there was an 800 number...I wrote it down and called them. They would sell me one and ship it UPS anywhere in US for only $499 + UPS...





I found VERY similar merchandise on Ebay for $49.95 + $20 UPS...The one we have is FACTORY RECONDITIONED, not NEW...Works just fine, and has a browning adjustment knob...It beeps when waffle is done...





The SECRET IS when using applesauce instead of veg. oil, you MUST PREHEAT the waffle iron DRY, and when preheating is complete (it beeps) open it and SPRAY WITH PAM OR EQUIVALENT NONSTICK SPRAY...The Waffle Iron itself has a non-stick finish, but that's NOT GOOD ENOUGH when you use applesauce.





You MUST spray with PAM for EACH waffle you make...Don't be afraid to buy several different brands of mix and discover your own favorite...My daughter %26amp; I found an off-brand at a discount store that we really love...ALSO, mix your batter with a WIRE WHISK ONLY UNTIL LUMPS GONE, no more...If you OVERMIX, waffles will be a good grade of cardboard.





DON'T be afraid to experiment...Enjoy!!





PS. My daughter loves HERS topped with powdered sugar, my son likes butter %26amp; maple syrup, wife likes fresh strawberries on it, I like Blueberry yogurt. You can preheat your oven to about 200 degrees and warm the plates up, take a wicker basket with a towel and wrap each waffle up AS SOON AS DONE, KEEP THEM ALL IN OVEN SO THEY'RE ALL HOT AT ONCE, so everyone can eat at once. Get done quickly, because the longer they're in the oven, the LESS crunchy they will be. This is definitely a BIG DEAL at our house, but the meal is restaurant quality at a fraction of the price, WITH family ambiance.


HOT BELGIAN WAFFLES=HAPPINESSCan I substitute applesauce for veg. oil in my waffle recipe?
melted butter, margarine, Crisco, etc all do the same thing. Waffles may get tough when substituting apple sauce for the ';oil'; in them. Also they will be more likely to stick to the waffle iron!!
Yes I did it the other day and it worked just fine.
For those types of foods you need to substitute it with plain yogurt as i've heard..

No comments:

Post a Comment